I- How to Apply for a Police Clearance Certificate
Police Clearance Certificate Application Form
- Applications are available in the Police web site and at all Police Stations in Sri Lanka..
- Duly filled applications should be handed over to the Officer in Charge of the Application Centre No. 331 Ollcot Mawatha, Colombo 11, on week days from 09.00 a.m. to 04.00 p.m.
- It is compulsory for the applicant to be present when handing over the application.
- Applicants who are overseas should submit their applications through the Sri Lankan High Commission in their respective countries. If there is no Sri Lankan High Commission in the country of residence, the applicant should fill the application and send same with a remittance to the value of Sri Lanka rupees One Thousand ( 1000/-) drawn in favor of the Inspector General of Police of Sri Lanka, addressed to Deputy Inspector General of Police, Police Headquarters, Colombo – 01, Sri Lanka under registered cover.
- All overseas applicants should state the date of departure from Sri Lanka.
II- Application Fees
- Applicants handing over the application to the Clearance Centre at No 331 , Ollcot Mawatha , Colombo 11, should pay a sum of rupees five hundred (Rs. 500/-) and obtain a receipt.
- Applicants living overseas should pay an equivalent sum of Sri Lankan rupees one thousand (Rs.1000/-) to the Sri Lankan High Commission in the country of residence.
- Overseas applicants submitting applications direct to the Inspector General of Police should send a draft or cheque drawn in favor of the Inspector General of Police payable to account No. 007041413 of the Taprobane Branch of Bank of Ceylon, Colombo 01, Sri Lanka.
III- Supporting Documents
Following documents should be attached to the application.
- Two copies of the National Identity Card (NIC)
- Copy of Passport
- A self addressed envelope with stamps to the value to register post the certificate.
The process would take maximum 14 working days.
V- Validity Period
The Police Clearance Certificate is valid for 06 months from the date of issue. If required a renewal could be requested. In such application all details furnished earlier should be included. In addition, a copy of the expired certificate should be furnished.
VI- Issuance Clearance Report
The Police Clearance Certificate will be delivered by registered post. For overseas applicants the certificate will be dispatched through the Foreign Ministry. Overseas applicants who have applied directly to the Inspector General of Police will also have to include a self addressed envelope with stamps to the value to registered post the certificate.
VII- To Avoid Delay Please Pay Attention to the Following.
- The name of the applicant as appearing in the NIC should be correctly printed in the application.
- The NIC number and the Date of Birth should be correctly indicated.
- Clear photo copies of the NIC should be certified & submitted.
- All places applicant lived should be specified accurate with the correct address.
- It is important to provide contact details such as local telephone numbers & email addresses, so that the clearance unit would be in a position to clarify information if necessary.
- No photo copies, scanned copies or fax copies of applications are accepted.
- Applicant should sign the application clearly.
- No alternations would be possible after handing over application.
- No second application could be made whilst one is under process.
VIII- Contact Telephone Numbers:
Application Centre 0112422994
OIC/Clearance Branch 0112013071 / 0112013072
ASP/Clearance Branch 0112013069
Director Headquarters Administration 0112013012